These are the booking classes or fare class codes used by United Airlines to identify the classes of service and restrictions on each type of ticket.
By alphabetical order
- A = Discounted Fare First Class. Round The World First is booked in this class.
- B = Almost Full Fare Economy with minimal restrictions - also used Star * RTW
- C = Full Fare Unrestricted Business Class
- D = Discounted Fare Business - used also on all "Business" Class Star RTW fares
- E = Some low web/discount fares from early 2005. Now officially elevated to above H class!
- F = Full Fare Unrestricted First Class
- G = Travel Industry Economy Class fares
- H = Higher level Economy Class with few restrictions. Some "RTW" coach is H
- I = Business Class STAR AWARD TICKET (Booked as 'XC' class on UA)
- J = Paid Business Class
- K = Seasonal Economy Promotional Fares/Reduced Fare Gov’t contract etc
- L = Discount Fare Economy with a lot of restrictions
- M = Almost Full Fare Economy with few restrictions
- N = Economy Class UA AWARD TICKET (Booked as 'NY' class on UA; available only to super-elite)
- O = First Class STAR AWARD TICKET (Booked as 'XF' class on UA)
- P = Premium USA Transcon First Class on 3 classers
- Q = Discount Economy with moderate restrictions.
- S = Real Lowball coach with lot of restrictions. Reports that some are not mile earning ex UK/Brazil etc.
- T = Heavy discount Fare Economy - often with a lot of restrictions
- V = Discount Fare Economy often with a lot of restrictions
- W = Discount Fare Economy often with many restrictions
- X = Economy Class STAR AWARD TICKET (Booked as 'XY' on UA)
- Y = Full Fare unrestricted Economy class
- Z = Heavily discounted Business Class - generally NOT upgradeable.
( * = Applies to THREE class equipment. In TWO class equipment, upgrading from coach to First is also in "NF" class. Two class aircraft [at present!] only run on North American routes. "Two class upgrades" are officially not allowed for paying pax - i.e. nothing one can do - whether with miles, and/or coupons of any kind will "officially" take you from paid coach to First on a THREE class aircraft.)
Source(s): Booking Classes
By pecking order
The order is defined in United's contract of carriage.
- First class: F, P, A
- Business class: C, D, Z
- Coach class: Y, B, M, E, U, H, Q, V, W, S, T, K, L, G