Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
Boston/Logan Airport is owned and operated by the Massachusetts Port Authority (MassPort). It is located adjacent to Boston Harbor in Massachusetts. MassPort also operates 2 other airports. Logan is the primary airport for the greater Boston area (and really for eastern Massachusetts).
Logan Airport has four passenger terminals, A, B, C and E, each with its own ticketing, baggage claim, and ground transportation facilities. The terminals are connected to the central parking garage by a walkway system. In all, there are 94 gates with contact jet bridges and nine regional jet gates at the airport and more than 40 airlines fly nonstop to more than 100 domestic and international destinations
BOS is not a UA hub. However, by todays standards, BOS would have been considered a United focus city up until the early 2000s. Until this point, United operated flights from BOS to a large number of domestic destinations. Nonstop flights were also operated to some international destinations, such as London's Heathrow International Airport (LHR).
Today, United operates nonstop flights to CLE, DEN, EWR, IAD, IAH, LAX, ORD, and SFO. Star Alliance partners Air Canada and US Airways also operate from Boston/Logan.
While United schedules many "direct" flights to Seattle-Tacoma (SEA), Tokyo/Narita (NRT), Calgary/Banff (YYC) and Beijing (PEK), they actually stop at DEN, ORD, ORD, and IAD respectively. The overseas segments of these flights normally have different aircraft than the purely domestic segments of these flights, so an aircraft and gate change often is required at the connecting airport.
Boston has separate locations for former-CO and former-UA flight operations as of April 2012. It is unclear when or how UA will consolidate its operations at Boston/Logan.
- Former-CO flights generally operate from Terminal A.
- Former-UA flights generally operate from Terminal C.
NOTE WELL: If possible, check one's gate information before arriving at the Airport, since different flights operate from different terminals.
Former UA Flights
- UA Domestic Check-In is on the upper level of Terminal C for former-UA flights.
- UA Premier Check-In is located to the near Domestic Check-In, next to the Easy Check-In units.
- United.com BagCheck for Terminal C is located next to the International Check-In counter.
- Landside Easy Check-In units are located to the left of the main check-in counters in Terminal C.
- Airside Easy Check-In units are located at counters at the end of the first hallway in Terminal C
Security Check Point
For former-UA flights, use the Terminal C left wing Security Check Point (Gates C11-C21).
The far right security line is reserved for United GS, 1K, First and Business passengers. Beware that this line is not well marked and looks as though it is just extra space between the main line and the wall.
Former CO Flights
These operate from Terminal A.
(More details on this are needed. UA web site is not clear or detailed as of early 2012.)
There are 2 United Club locations. One is Terminal A and another in Terminal C. Both are also Star Alliance Gold lounges.
- Terminal A, between Gates A-6 and A-7. This does NOT have the new espresso machine. This offers snacks for most of the day. There is a staffed bar, but it does not offer premium wine and spirits (yet ?).
- Terminal C, near Gate C-19. This has the new espresso machine, which also can produce cappuccinos and lattes. There is a staffed bar, which does offer premium wine and spirits. During breakfast, cereal is offered from vertical clear tubes. At other times of the day, various snack mixes are offered from similar vertical clear tubes.
- Former CO flights (e.g. CLE, EWR, IAH) operate from Terminal A, Gates A-5 through A-9.
- Former UA flights (e.g. DEN, IAD, LAX, ORD, SFO) depart from the left-wing of Terminal C, Gates C-15 through C-21.
- As of April 2012, it is unclear when UA will consolidate its gates at Boston/Logan.
- Massachusetts State Police
- Located landside on the arrivals level of Terminal C.
- Our Lady of the Airways (Chapel)
- Located landside, accessible from the hall connecting Terminals B and C.
Logan Airport facilities guide to Terminal A is online.
Logan Airport facilities guide to Terminal C is also online. Selected restaurants and services in Terminal C are listed next.
- Au Bon Pain
- This bakery café offers breakfast pastries, warm focaccia sandwiches, salads and signature soups.
- One location landside, to the left of the UA Security Checkpoint.
- Dunkin' Donuts
- This New England favorite serves its famous coffee, bagels, doughnuts and other baked goods.
- Two locations landside, in the departure level Food Court and at UA Baggage Claim.
- One location airside next to Gate C20.
- Famous Famiglia Pizza
- One taste and you’ll know why the Famiglia name is synonymous with great pizza and great service.
- One location landside in the departure level Food Court.
- Gourmet on the Fly
- Whether it’s chocolate covered almonds, snowcaps, dried fruit or a delicious gourmet sandwich made fresh daily, this is the place to stop for snacks and “meals to fly”.
- One location landside next to the JetBlue ticket counter.
- Greenleaf's Grille
- Made-to-order grilled sandwiches, salads, wraps, soups, fresh grilled vegetables and more served in a friendly environment.
- One location airside next to Gate C19.
- Legal Seafoods
- This famous restaurant offers a variety of traditional seafood dishes, mixed grill and sautéed entrees at a great value.
- Located landside in the departure level Food Court.
- Classic Shoe Shine
- Located landside in Terminal C, next to departure level Food Court.
- Sovereign Bank
- ATMs located somewhere in Terminal A.
- ATMs located airside in Terminal C.
- Bank of America
- ATMs located outside security in Terminals A and C.
- Citizen's Bank
- Full Service branch located landside on the arrivals level of Terminal C.
- ATM available in Terminal A.
There are two hotels directly on site at Boston/Logan Airport:
- The Hilton Boston Logan Airport has a direct connection via an enclosed sky bridge to Boston Logan's terminals, as well as complimentary 24-hour shuttle service to all airline terminals, subway station and water taxi.
- The Hyatt Harborside has dramatic views of the Boston skyline over the water. Amenities include a business center, fitness center, sauna, pool and whirlpool. Gain easy access to downtown with a water taxi or complimentary 24-hour hotel shuttle to the airport terminals.
A wide range of other hotels from most major chains are available in Boston or nearby Cambridge, but those aren't directly on-site at the airport.
- The Embassy Suites Boston at Logan Airport is probably the closest off-airport hotel, only 1 mile from Logan Airport, near a subway station, and offers 24-hour airport shuttle.
Wireless Internet (WiFi)
- Logan Airport Free WiFi
- Available throughout all terminals at Boston/Logan. SSID: loganwifi
- More information on MassPort's Free WiFi
- United Club locations also offer WiFi to members and guests. For details, ask at lounge check-in.
The United Services Organisation (USO) of New England has a no-cost lounge located landside on the arrivals level of Terminal C (only), near UA baggage claim. This USO Lounge is always open (24 hours a day/7 days).
This is open to any member of the US Uniformed Services (Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy, NOAA Corps, Marines, USPHS). This has complimentary snacks and soft drinks, along with television and Internet access. As this is outside security, it is mostly useful for uniformed services personnel arriving at BOS.
Transport within BOS Airport
Getting around the airport is easy and convenient with walkways between terminals and a free on-airport shuttle bus system.
MassPort has an online interactive map to familiarize yourself with the airport.
Transport to/from BOS Airport
Major rental car firms are located on site.
Taxis are available at each Terminal.
The MBTA public bus service has 5 bus routes connecting to Boston/Logan Airport. These routes include (as of February 2011):